Saturday, October 17, 2009

Buyers BEWARE

Three weeks ago, Louie and I each bought ourselves a little Acer Aspire One netbook. I could say mine was for my birthday, but I won’t. We got them just because we have never had a laptop, thought they were neat, and just because we wanted them. No reason needed, so none given. They are fun.             010 41h8WHqwfcL__AA260_                                Here’s Louie’s.                    009                               Here’s mine.                       016                              That was on September 24th, which was a Thursday night.  Netbooks don’t have an internal cd drive, so it did not come with a recovery disk, although, the instructions say that if needed, insert the recovery disk. What does one do when they don’t have one? One looks online for one, (and uses an external cd drive when needed).

So, on Friday, September 25th, I went online looking for a recovery disk for an Acer Aspire One. I looked for quite awhile, and finally found one. It was supposed to be free, but when I put in all my details, the cost, in the end, was $4.87 for a download. Free, my toe nails, but ok, I can handle that.

Shortly thereafter, I got an email thanking me for my Premium membership to Mega Flix Pass, and that I would be billed $89.73 every 30 days unless/until cancelled. I IMMEDIATELY SENT A MESSAGE through their website/support form requesting that I would not be using the download, and that I wanted to CANCEL IMMEDIATELY. NOW, FIVE MINUTES AGO!

Well, of COURSE, I got NO REPLY, even though the website stated I would get a reply within 24 hours. I sent another message, and again, NO REPLY. I was getting quite upset about it, and on Monday, September 28th, I asked Louie to help me see what we could do. We called the number on the email I got on Friday, and was directed to their www.customercarelive.com website, so we went there, and I cancelled my membership. ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, I got an email response stating that my subscription had been cancelled, and that I would no longer be billed. It also provided a 24 hour billing customer service  and a phone number.

Ok, so the deed was done…so I thought…..until this morning, when I decided it was time to work on comparing my bank statement against my check register.  On my statement, I had a $94.60 charge. HUH????? The charge occurred on September 29th, THE DAY after my cancellation request was confirmed. NOW GET THIS! The source of the debit was from CHIEFSUPORT COM www anals xx  NO, I DID NOT STUTTER, AND NO, I DID NOT MISSPELL ANYTHING. THAT IS EXACTLY HOW IT APPEARED ON MY STATEMENT!  I tried to look it up on the internet, and did not come up with anything. So, what does $4.87 + $89.73 add up to? $94.60!!!! 

Ok, so now, I guess I know where all my FILTHY, sex, spam emails have been coming from, which I have been furiously blocking EVERY DAY.

I got out my information again on the Mega Flix Pass, and tried to call the phone number. Guess what? It is all automated. It directs you to press #1, or #4, or #??? to talk to a person, then the phone sounds like it is ringing, then an automated voice tells you that the waiting time is 5 minutes, then a voice comes on and tells you that no one is able to talk to you. Oh, REALLY! I tried again, and I tried the second number they gave me. It rings to the same place. I have been told three times now, that no one can talk to me. I believe this is all a scam, and that no one works there. It is all set up to automated voices, and when people sign up, they charge a monthly membership fee (which I saw nothing about when I bought the $4.87 download, AND  which I did NOT USE).  Then, they cannot be contacted.

I have printed all the information I got from them via email, I have printed a letter I wrote them through their contact form on the customer care website, (I actually sent them three this morning, and one, I told them we would be contacting authorities TODAY) and we are going to the bank this morning to see what can be done. If I have to cancel my debit card and get a new one, I will, although I will be without one for two weeks.  If this is a lesson I learned, I guess I will take my lumps, but I will be contacting authorities if the bank does not help me.  I should contact them anyway.

So, on the lighter side of things, the sun is shining, and it is 30*. In a few hours, Louie will be bundling up and we will be taking our Goldwing to the storage unit for the winter (or until a nice day when we go take it out for awhile), then we will be going junkin’.  I am thankful for all the blessings in my life, and I consider this just a small bump, but it is scary to think about how quickly things like this can happen.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and remember to Enjoy God’s Blessings!

Add_Bear_Essentials_Loving_Care_thumb

Michelle

UPDATE

Louie just got back from the bank. They said I did a good job documenting everything, and printing all the information I had, including the correspondence with 'no one on the other end'.  They said that these kind of places target people who never look at their checking accounts, and their activities, or any other accounts. The bank took copies of all my documentation, and credited my account for the entire amount.  They will be filing a report with Visa (my debit card), and new cards have been ordered.  UPDATE: CARDS ARRIVED IN ONE WEEK! My current debit card has been flagged to watch for anything coming from these people in 'nowhere land' and when our new cards come in, the old ones will be cancelled.DONE!  All I can say is PRAISE THE LORD! Now, my job is to carefully watch my account until the new cards arrive. Glad I don’t have to do that anymore!

The gal at the bank also said that we would be amazed at the people who never check their accounts and balance their checkbooks. I know a few myself. She said people come in to search for a resolution, when they finally DO realize something has happened, and when asked how often they balance their accounts, the bank gets the 'deer in the headlights' look from most people. I have to admit, that balancing my checkbook is not a pleasant task, but I need to know what is going on, as I don’t usually have much ‘to spare’.

Beware, take care, and have a wonderful weekend!

Michelle

9 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh Michelle, what a horrible mess. I know you hate to be out that much money...at least I know I would...but the frustration, aggravation, near tears and being at a loss can age you in just a short time. At least you know the spam e-mails were not coming via facebook connections.

Enjoy your junkin time with your sweet man.

KyQuiltlady said...

Thanks for the info. It pays to watch your checking account. I once didn't balance to the exact penny and ajusted the balance with Bank. I no longer do that cause I had to start a new account to get it straight. Now, I don't stop till I balance to the penny. I balance every few days to a week, never longer. Lessons learned. That is one of the reasons Lionel don't want me to buy online.

Hope you find treasures while junking and hope Louie don't freeze on the bike.

Hazel said...

Thank You so much we had just decided last night to get this very same notebook we have two computers but they are both upstairs so we dedided this would be perfect for just checking emails on the main floor of the house
I realize you have no cd drive but is your operating system not on a protected part of you hard drive ???
I'll have to go check this at Staples tomorrow .Thanks for the warning it came just in time .

Alice Grace said...

You did a good job of shutting down this scam on your account! I am to the point of being careful of what I sign up for. I signed up a couple of weeks ago to see some photos of a family member on a website, and ever since have been getting the nastiest emails that are just plain filthy! I hope it was not that site, but I suspect it happened somehow....altho I also heard that google passwords had been infiltrated, so that could be where it is coming from.

Kristie said...

Oh Michelle! How terrible! Such a shame that people have to stoop that low to try to scam people! Hopefully, all is fixed now.

Have a great day!
Kristie

Valerie said...

What a terrible experience. Well I guess I should balance my checkbook, huh?? No I do but this is so scary, makes you want to keep a closer eye on things. Thanks for making us all aware.

Gina said...

What a horrible experience nbut I'm glad that the bank is sorting it out for you.

I must admit I nearly got caught out once like that but my bank rang me and asked if I had authorised the debit. They said that certain companies are red flagged and that I was very nearly the victim of a scam. It's amazing what some companies are prepared to do.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Diane said...

Thanks for posting that. Some people are so mean. I would never think to do anything like that to someone. But I have had similar experiences and luckily I am one to check everything.

Jay said...

Well, I'll never have a problem with `bad folks' getting my money. I simply don't have any for them to get ;-)

I am glad this worked out for you guys. It is a crying shame what some people will do (to anybody) to scam money....

Oh, and thanks a bunch for visiting my site!!!

jay

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...