Sunday, September 2, 2007

About Me


Hello! Thanks for stopping by. My name is Michelle. I have S.M.A.D. (Sewing Machine Addiction Disorder), but it's a disorder I do NOT want a cure for! I LOVE finding vintage sewing machines, but the HIGH comes from making them sing, just like new again. Some can barely move when I bring them home, and are quite sad, but after a few hours, are happy again. It has become an obsession of mine. I get lots of encouragement from my husband, the enabler.  I love the old antique and vintage machines, as they were built to last, with all metal workings. Some have asked me what I do with them all. Well, I keep them, but most recently, I have been collecting for The Sewing Machine Project! Check out the link associated with the picture on my sidebar. I rarely sew on them afterwards, as I have a very nice Janome 6600 machine as my main machine, but I know that they work, and if I WANT to, I can sew on them. They are sew pretty to look at, and I display them throughout my home, so they are pleasing to the eye.

I am also a quilter, but more of a 'cold weather quilter'. I am blessed with a group of wonderful friends who meet in my home once a month from September through May, and we have such a good time learning from each other, sharing joys and concerns, and making our own beautiful quilts together. (Check my archives on any September-May, and hopefully you will find some quilting posts.) =-)

My husband Louie, who this blog is named after, is the love of my life, and hand picked especially for me, by God Himself.  We have been married for 37 years. He is my best friend, and I thank God for him every day. We love spending time together, which is mostly on the weekends, as we both work full time. We love junkin’ (our name for thrift store shopping) together all year long, and we love riding our Goldwing in the months that weather permits. Spending time with friends is an added bonus.

We love the Lord, and know that everything comes from Him, and that nothing is impossible with Him by ours sides.

Enjoy your visit, and please leave me a comment. I'll send you one back!
Michelle

11 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! Love your machines, I have the same disease you have, there is no known cure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to take a look at my new post...Bernina in the shop and using my old friend, Genie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I came across your article about when you picked up and then cleaned up your Singer 66-1 Cabinet #5. I have the same sewing machine, but I have it because it was my grandma's and great grandma's, who bought it at a "garage sale" my mom says, but my grandma was born in 1909 the year the machine was made-guess it was a really early garage sale. Anyways, your machine's serial number caught my eye, my serial is #G39822245, and is slightly different. I looked it up on the ISMACS site, found it was built 1 Jan 1909, I have the manual (in better shape than the 1950s newspaper i found inside machine), I have all the attachments plus my mom bought a "new" belt for it in the 1970s in her sewing "stage" when I was little. My machine has 7 drawers including the center drawer, all the drawers are have carved scroll artwork, and I have the extension table. Its in reasonably good shape. I have kept the wood at least "lemon" oiled to keep from drying out in Chicago's great temps. But I'm wondering how to take care of the extremely heavy iron base of the cabinet. Its not in bad shape but I want to wipe it with an oil based cleaner, or something-dusting is just pushing dust around. I have training in museum object care thru my degree(Museology), but the sewing machine is driving me crazy. The rounded wood (thin) area in back covering the spring is ridiculously dry-HELP please.
    Jennifer Heer Norman
    please email if you have suggestions, heergenealogy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle, I was given a Singer graduate model 935 a couple of years ago from a friend who got it from someone's estate who had passed on. I put it away with my other machines that I have and took it out today to look it over a bit. I'm impressed with the stitching, so far I've figured most of it out. It did not come with a manual. I'm thinking I will take it to my quilt shop and have it serviced. I may like to put it into service, seems like it's a pretty heavy duty machine. I have enjoyed reading some of your blog tonight. I am also a quilter and lover of fabrics and machines. You can find out more about me on my website, which links you to my blog and other sites I am on. You have a new follower! Happy sewing!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michelle,

    Love your collection of machines, I somehow started a small collection after finding a machine on curb years ago. I didn't know what it was or what condition, I just spotted an obvious case, stopped, jumped out and ran.
    I do use most of mine, at least just for something fun do once in awhile.

    I mostly jumped to "about me" so I leave a comment about your really gorgeous Big Blue machine, with the tow behind sewing machine accessory! Love it! I have one smallish machine that will fit in the trunk on my Kawasaki Concours :) sewing and biking together rocks!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, I stopped in from Amy (Redeemed sheep) site. Your Singer sewing machine caught my eye. I have one of those too! I used to use it years ago to sew the straps back on my little girl's MaryJanes...and to sew up the canvas tent when it needed mending. They don't make 'em like that anymore. I've had my 'new' Kenmore for um...many years now. :-) Hope you'll stop in at Cranberry Morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi michelle! I too love old machines. I have a few and like to sew on them when i can. I was wondering where you live since you went to fond du lac to pick up your machine. I am in northern illinois (gurnee) and work at quilt play in grayslake

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Michelle, I came across your blog (which I have read some of and love it and will follow it from now on) while I was searching for information on a type of treadle machine I have. It belonged to my greatgrandmother. It is a Free Brand machine. I have had it not being used for a very long time till recently and got it out, oiled and fixed the belt. Got it running and then I relized I didn't have the front needle plate that covers where the bobbin is. I am not sure what happen to it. I do have a metal box with a lot of attacments but not that. Do you have any idea where I might be able to find and buy just that one piece? Thank you for any help and again I love your blog.
    Cindy in Texas
    thim3@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I just came home with the same model, and discovered I don't have the bobbin case (duh--I was so excited about grabbing this that I forgot to check). This is my first White and I am unsure what else might be missing from the bobbin area. If it is not too much trouble, can you post a pic of yours so I that I have an idea what I am looking for? There is so little info on this model on the net. Thank you :) echoffman@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle!

    Last year I became afflicted with SMAD when I found an old Singer 201 at an estate sale. I've since acquired 3 additional machines and I just started sewing on a Domestic 151. I LOVE HER! But I'm quite the rookie on the vintage machines and it has been a learning experience on the Domestic.

    My go-to modern machine is a Babylock Rachel, but I'm thinking the Domestic is going to be my go-to for denim and heavier fabrics. How did you learn to fix up the vintage machines that need a little extra love? I'd like to learn, but not sure where to start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Coleen,
    Check out my blog post on fixing machines.

    http://lifewithlou.blogspot.com/search?q=sewing+machine+maintenance

    Thanks!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...