Sunday, March 15, 2009

Turning Thirty Quilt

I made a separate post for my Turning 'Thirty' quilt so the quilt retreat post won't be so bogged down with photos.

Here are some of my 'A' blocks as I was making them. ...and here are my 'B' blocks. Notice the fan on the floor? It was HOT!
Here is one of the layouts. I laid all the blocks out in the order the pattern called for, but then I had to do some rearranging to get to the point of my liking. It seemed the longer I rearranged, the more discontented I got, so I just said, 'this is it, like it or not', picked them up and stitched them together. I can't believe how fast it all went! Polly and I are holding this up sideways so everyone could see the whole thing, even if they did have to look under the table! With thirty blocks, I made six blocks long by five blocks wide. Louie and I measured it, and 'tried it on' the bed this morning. Right now, it is 87" wide. Length does not matter on the quilt frame, only the width. As you can see, it is pretty long, which is what I wanted. I am going to add borders to it yet though, and I needed to know how wide it was so I knew how much border I could add, and yet, have it fit across my widest rollers on my quilt frame. I have about 20" yet to play with, so I am going to add a 9 or 10" border all the way around it yet, which will make the quilt almost touch the floor on the sides, and with the extra length, it should be long enough so that I can make the bed like a bedspread, instead of a quilt, by tucking the pillows in. If you look, you can see a floral bedspread underneath the quilt top. It doesn't touch the floor either, so I would like this quilt to be just a little bigger. I have not totally figured out the backing yet, but I know I will use a sheet, and will probably have to get a little creative by adding a border to the backing too. I have all week to figure that out.If you are looking for a quick project quilt, this one is it! Check back later (who knows when) for the finished, quilted quilt. I'm not sure when I will get it quilted, but I'm sure it will be in the not so distant future! Maybe next weekend!

Be blessed!!
Michelle

8 comments:

  1. The color combination looks great. I can tell that pattern would go together fast as the blocks are large. Sounds like it won't be long until it will be on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how it turned out! I like a big quilt on the bed. My mom has a queen bed but it is really tall so we have to make a BIG king for her bed. Can't wait to see it quilted!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its true then that the more you arrange it the more you fuss over it. And during the actual piecing, you will rearrange again. Happens to me y-day on my Pumpkin Goes Wild quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color combination ,looks even better in your room .Don't forget photo's after you have quilted it .

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt. I'm like you I love larger quilts on the bed.

    Love and hugs Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made a really pretty quilt and so fast, too! I've never made a Turning Twenty or any of it's variations but can see why so many people like to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is very pretty and will be beautiful in your room. I'm like you, I like quilts to hang down the sides of the bed. I have finished one Turning Twelve, and have 2 variations that I need to quilt. It's a fun quick pattern that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As ever, your quilt is beautiful. Can't wait to see it on the machine and then the bed! No pressure applied at all!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...