Sunday, October 2, 2011

Singer Genie 354

Yesterday, Louie and I went junkin’. Yea, kinda hard to believe, huh? He asked me where I wanted to go first. We planned to go check out a junk shop that I found on Craigslist in Moline, but I told him I wanted to stop at Goodwill in Bettendorf first.

The first place I look while in thrift stores is the furniture, looking for sewing machine cabinets with possible machines. Sometimes the cabinets are empty. The second place I look is the shelf of electrical and electronic devices.

Yesterday, I was walking from one side of the store (furniture) to the other side of the store (electrical), quickly scanning the shelves as I went, and talking to Louie about some other subject, when I saw Genie from halfway across the store. The conversation went dead to my ears, I grabbed Louie, pointed ahead, cupped my hand over my mouth, and said, ‘There’s a Singer Genie on the shelf!!!’ (He later teased me about how what he was telling me was so UN-important…sorry honey!)

003

I grabbed her off the shelf and couldn’t get her cover off fast enough. I plugged her in and pressed the foot control. She sounded good! There was a lady right behind us, who was LURKING, watching our every move. As soon as she saw that I had claimed it as my own, she asked, ‘What did they have on that for a price?’ We told her, and she went on her way, disappointed, I am sure! I would have probably cried! She missed getting Genie, by mere seconds!

Genie was dirty and dusty, so she got a bath last night while I waited for supper to get done cooking.

001

This morning, I wound a bobbin and sewed some test stitches. She is really a nice little machine! She is a 3/4 size portable ‘on the go’ machine. Some say she was the ‘70’s version’ of the Singer Featherweight. She has nowhere near the value of a Featherweight, but she only weighs 18.8 pounds.

002

Her sliding cover also houses her foot control. The manual and accessories are missing, but they also are meant to slide into this same compartment.

004

The bottom cover snaps closed to keep in the foot control.

005

The cover slides on from the left…..

006

…the panel flips up and snaps closed, and the the spool pin pushes down into the machine.

007

Her hand wheel has a cute funky little ‘70’s design, because, well, she was built in the 70’s. From what I can find on Google, the Singer Genie 353, and following model 354, with an additional special stretch stitch, were built around 1973.

009

Most girls don’t like showing their ‘backsides’, but I’m sure Genie does not mind.

010

 I’m sorry….I can’t help myself. Ever since I found Genie, this song keeps going through my head.

..You stepped into my life from a bad dream, making the life that I had seem suddenly shiny and new…Oh Genie, I’m so in love with you….

It looks like another nice day. Hmmm…what shall Michelle do today?

Have a great Sunday, whatever you do!

Be blessed,

Michelle

ADD BEAR PANDA

Acts 9:36-42

New Living Translation (NLT)

There was a believer in Joppa named Tabitha (which in Greek is Dorcas). She was always doing kind things for others and helping the poor. About this time she became ill and died. Her body was washed for burial and laid in an upstairs room. But the believers had heard that Peter was nearby at Lydda, so they sent two men to beg him, “Please come as soon as possible!”

So Peter returned with them; and as soon as he arrived, they took him to the upstairs room. The room was filled with widows who were weeping and showing him the coats and other clothes Tabitha had made for them. But Peter asked them all to leave the room; then he knelt and prayed. Turning to the body he said, “Get up, Tabitha.” And she opened her eyes! When she saw Peter, she sat up!  He gave her his hand and helped her up. Then he called in the widows and all the believers, and he presented her to them alive.

The news spread through the whole town, and many believed in the Lord.

8 comments:

  1. Your shopping trips are amazing! I have seen exactly 2 sewing machines at the Goodwill stores in our area and neither were worth taking home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lucky you!! As you know I love this machine. I have one exactly like it. This was the machine meant to keep me out of trouble after high school. Mine needs some work though. Hmmmm wonder who I know that is a sewing machine genius. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful!! Wow you find cool stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I love seeing all the great machines you find. Everything I go to the Goodwill, I look to see if there are any sewing machines. I have found a couple of Kenmores (Japan made) at thrift stores for about @10-$20. Most of the machines I see at Goodwill are not worth buying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute little machine. I remember someone having one, but can't remember who. Thanks for reminding me to look in the furniture section. I was at two larger thrift stores in a town about 80 miles away on Thursday, but couldn't look for sewing machines. Car was completely full of groceries, and I was on another "mission". sigh.

    However, yesterday, I went to a yard sale and picked up a Kenmore Model 1570 with accessories and manual. Excellent condition. Just serviced. Haven't tried it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well Michelle, I too, am the proud owner of a "Genie" !!! It was my high school graduation present in 1974 from my parents and it cost $99.00!!!!
    It has traveled with me back and forth to college for four years, all around NC to make window treatments for cousins and aunts and sisters...made dust ruffles for my parents new house in 1985, bathing suits for me. Well you name it and my "Genie" has made it.
    But I must admit that I did not make my wedding dress with it but used a Bernina instead!! However, I keep my faithful girl in my traveling case and use it for my workshops any chance I get....
    Would NOT get rid of her for anything.......

    Blessings and enjoy yours too,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Singer Genie is a terrific find Michelle. Genie is such a cute little sewing machine, it really sews great sttitches. I gave mine away to my niece in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...