Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Tackled the Closet from Hell

For TOOOOOOOOOOOOO long, there was a nightmare behind these doors. Behind these doors is labeled the ‘Closet from HELL’! It contains items that need to be put ‘somewhere’ and it is usually overflowing. Cleaning out this closet has been on my ‘to do’ list for too long, and nagging me. I finally decided to tackle it.

closet from HELL 004

I pulled out probably 50 pounds of old jar candles that had discolored from age, had been warmed and melted in my candle warmers, and lost it’s scent, or had been burned a little bit, but were still old. There were also many old NEW candles that had never been burned or ‘warmed’ that I just felt I did not need anymore. I STILL have more NEW candles than I will ever be able to use before they lose their scent or discolor. (Future gifts? hmmmm…maybe!) I am a candle ‘melter’ not a candle ‘burner’. I do use two warmers most weekends. I have one in the kitchen, and one in the living room, and they smell WONDERFUL!

See the clear and white drawers in the bottom of the closet? They need to be cleaned out too, but not today. I had so much ‘stuff’ in there, that each time I needed something from one of the drawers, I had to pull all the stuff sitting in front of the drawers out of the way to get at what I was after.

closet from HELL 001

There were lots of other ‘foo foo’s that went in the GW boxes too, and I know there is STILL things in this closet that could go, but not today. Maybe next time. The photo below is a shot of the ‘other side’ of the closet.

closet from HELL 002

So for today, these boxes are my ‘closet from hell’ sacrifices. Oh, it feels so good!!! I have lots of other spaces that need cleaned out too, but I don’t think it will be today. A little at a time. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and stuff didn’t accumulate overnight.

closet from HELL 005

Yesterday I did some deep cleaning in the kitchen, but certainly did not clean every area. No drawers or cupboards were cleaned out, but all the surfaces were wiped down, and items on the countertops were washed, dried, and replaced. Curtains were washed, and I de-limed the coffee pot.

Today, other than the closet from hell, I am working on laundry. Louie and I changed the bedding this morning, which is a two person job, so bedding is in the process of being washed. I have a basket of laundry to fold and put away, a load in the dryer, and the sheets are still in the washer. I don’t know if the vacuuming will get done today or not, but what I DID get done, sure does feel good!!!

What did you do today?

Have a wonderful week. I hope mine will be short with only three days to work. I hope to work on my quilt on Thanksgiving day. That sure would be nice!

Be blessed,

Michelle

magpieedited (1)

11 comments:

  1. Oh my Michelle, I know how you feel. After 23 years in our home, we moved and I was finally forced to clean out all my cupboards and closets. It was nearly overwhelming, but it felt oh-so-good to be rid of those "things". Congrats on your accomplishment!

    As for what I did today, I made a lentil stew for supper, watched a little football, and did a little sewing on gift pin cushions. Love your blog... sadly, I don't take the time to comment much, but I do enjoy reading of your sewing and such. Hugs...Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Michelle ,where does all this stuff come from .I'm still at it, next weekend we'll make a trip to the thrift store and the dump to get rid of it .I really need to stop buying at thrift stores .
    What did I do today ,we went to church ,then watched football all afternoon this evening we'll watch a little TV .Do I feel guilty ,not at all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! You have been busy! Feels good, though, doesn't it?

    We had a busy day with church this morning and then our Thanksgiving fellowship meal tonight. I will sleep well tonight. =)

    Russ' uncle died this morning, so we will have a busy week with visitation, a funeral and Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! For the next several days you are going to smile every time you open that closet!! Tomorrow is my day to tackle some projects I have been procrastinating - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you tackling that closet! I agree with you, do a little bit at a time of what needs to be cleaned and decluttered and before long all will be done. Seems like you had a very busy weekend! Glad you have a short week ahead at work! May you and your hubby have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl!!!... and when you are all finished come on over. I have a whole sewing room that needs to be cleaned out and organized. I have projects I started 5 years ago still piled up in this chest or that.... I also have a big craft closet in our game room that is crying out for help. It is the closet that I stuff everything in when I am trying to clean up in a big hurry. Does anyone else do that???

    Have a great week... and enjoy your nicely organized closet. Hugs, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,
    Your closet looks great...now is the challenge to keep it that way!! I reorganized mine this summer and I am really trying.
    I have a friend who has her mother's 1956 blue Morse sewing machine in the original cabinet. Is this something that interests you? If so, message her at...mlcp@embargmail.com

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm exhausted just from reading your post! (I used to have that kind of energy. Not sure where it went.) Just cleaning and organizing makes one feel better.

    I did some laundry, put out the dogs and and let them in at least twice an hour, and worked on cataloging cookbooks. Filled four boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: Forgot to tell you that your closet looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I felt up to doing exactly what you did...but not right now. We traveled to my son's yesterday for my granddaughter's baptism. That car ride and a couple of other things aggravated my sciatica and I'm paying for it today. And now I need to start cooking! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a brave, brave woman to tackle that closet! ;o) It looks wonderful and I bet it feels so much better when you look inside. I have a sewing room that needs tackled! Could be a good project for this afternoon. Or not.........

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...