If you read the previous post, you read that we moved Louie’s desk and computer out of the basement utility room/machine quilting room, and up into his new office. I did some moving around in there, and now here are some pictures of my new (ALL MINE) quilting room. This is the doorway from the living area. The doors are bi-fold, and have mirrors on both sides to help reflect more light.
Here is what you see from far inside the room, looking at the back of the doors. My sewing table and Janome 6600 machine sit in part of the space. We’ll be going around the room to the right so you can see the whole room.
This is my media wall. It used to be all VHS tapes, and now it is about half music CD’s, some DVD movies, and the rest, VHS tapes. Yes, we still have two combination DVD/VHS players. Also, there is a lamp on the wall, and my second Juki TL-98E which sits in the cabinet. Oh, and my pressing machine. There is also a pile of quilts that will be send to Quilts for Kids.
Ugh! What kind of quilting equipment is this??!! Oh, it’s the furnace and hot water heater. I tried to move it, but I didn’t know where I would go with it, so I guess t will have to stay, and I’ll have to live with it.
Next to the water heater is where the big white metal cabinet used to sit. I moved that across the room. My roll of Warm and Natural batting (stash) sits there in the blue bin. I decided if the hot water heater sprung a leak, the batting would probably soak it up like a big sponge, and I just don’t know if I could wring out 40 yards of 90” batting, so I put it in a tub.
The little rolling ‘whatever you call it’ sits there as well, and holds serger thread, a pizza box with quilt blocks, quilting girls birthday gifties, and on top, my newest Necchi machine. When I use the quilter, I will roll it out of the way so I can adjust the height of the rollers when I need to, and then I can just roll it back when I am finished.
As you can see by the quilts hanging on the rollers, I have projects that need finishing. One of the quilts is quilted and needs binding, and the other one needs quilted. I picked up these quilts at the Salvation Army for $2 each. They were tied quilts. I ‘floated’ the first one on the quilter and did a big stipple, and pulled the yarn out as I went. These quilts will be donated to Quilts for Kids, when I get them finished.
Louie helped me pull the frame a few inches more away from the wall, and we also moved it down to the left a little bit more. I will be able to get to both ends easier now that the cupboard is out of there.
See the boxes on the floor to the right of the quilting frame? Those are my ‘someday’ track lights. Someday, Louie will get them installed, and then I will really be able to see what I am doing! I also plugged in a power strip. I plugged in the quilting machine, cruise control and some lights to the strip. Now I just flip one switch to turn it all on, and flip it off when I am finished. Much easier than plugging and unplugging each cord.
Not much changed here, except the white cupboard is now next to the file cabinet. Some sewing machines have found a place on top of the cabinets.
I ran an extension cord across the top of the file cabinet and the white cabinet, so I could plug in the lamp, and I am also able to plug in my sewing machine there. If I want to roll the machine out into the living area of the basement, I am still able to. I put a nail in the trim board so I could hang the wreath. The white space was just too large to be left empty. (OCD)
Here we are, back around to the beginning. Sew, this is my new space!!! It’s not a whole lot different than it was. I did gain a little space where the desk used to sit, but now it is MINE, all MINE. We might even save a few dollars each month on electricity, because there will be no lights on in this room 24/7. (My husband doesn’t seem to remember how to turn off lights. Bless his heart….I DO love him so! )
Have a good week everyone!!!