Saturday, May 19, 2012

Kenmore 1303

1013-2 006

Louie and I bought this sewing machine last night for The Sewing Machine Project. It is a Sears Kenmore Model 1303. (Or technically, 158.13032) Kenmore says it was built in 1969. They built things to last back then. We knew it had issues when we bought it, even though there was a sign on the cabinet which said ‘Tested’. Yup. Uh huh. Thinking smile That’s ok. We were up for a challenge! In love

1302 001

One problem it had that I was NOT aware of, was that the presser bar  was STUCK in the UP position. That means that you cannot lower your presser foot, and if you can’t lower your presser foot, you can’t sew! If you look at the picture below, (you will have to enlarge it) you will see a part, which I have circled. That is the presser bar bracket. That bracket is attached to the presser bar, which holds your presser foot. When you lift the lever to raise and lower the presser bar, this bracket is what works with the presser lever to raise the bar and your presser foot from the feet dogs so you can get your fabric under and out of the machine. When the bar is stuck, nothing happens. In this case, the bar was UP, then it got stuck. This machine has been sitting around for decades, I am SURE. Unless the bar goes down, there will be no sewing. Sad smile

13030001

The bar wouldn’t budge. The presser foot bracket is the part which is dark colored and has two screws going into it, just under the spring.  It has a ‘leg’ on it, which sticks out the back of the machine, and the presser bar lifter pushes it up against the spring. But it just wouldn’t move…..

1302 010

…so I tried to help it…(with a hammer and a screwdriver)…..OH NO! Surprised smile It broke! It’s made from cast metal.

1302 013

Louie was at the ‘Y’ when I broke this part, so I moved on to the more obvious problem. The darn machine was STUCK too! It would move, but only with brute force! I turned and turned the hand wheel manually, and added oil to every place I could see had a joint and moved (or should move) and I put grease on the gears, and I checked for thread wrapped around the hand wheel (not the problem), and I just kept working it. If you look closely, you can see where the belt goes on to the motor. There is black thread wrapped around it. That really wasn’t a function problem though. I removed it.

1302 006

When I felt I had oiled everything I could, I plugged it in and tried to see if I could get the motor to move the machine. I did see a little smoke, but you should have seen the black pieces of carbon and ‘whatever’ that flew out of the motor when I turned it on. I didn’t think to photograph that mess. I just kept manually turning the hand wheel, and then I would try to force the motor to do it for me. Eventually, the motor started turning things, and I just kept ‘flooring it’ with the foot controller, and FINALLY, whatever was binding, broke free, and this baby MOVES! Oh my Good Heavens! The motor is fine. I was just putting too much load on it in the beginning. (That is, after all the crap got blown out of it from sitting around for decades). It was also covered in gravel dust, or something.

So my sweet Louie went out to work when he got back from the ‘Y’ to braze this piece back together. He completely removed the presser bar. (For those wondering….the part is no longer available). I am learning so much about sewing machines by fixing them, and my hubby is learning more than he intended to, but that’s ok. We’re a team! We have never had a sewing machine this far apart before. I guess you have to start somewhere, right? Winking smile What did we have to lose?

1302 016

Louie returned with the piece brazed back together! Rolling on the floor laughing

1013-2 001

1013-2 002

We won! It lives! It straight stitches, zigzags, and blind stitches. It also has forward and reverse on the stitch selector knob for making button holes. (Of course, I did have to buy a manual so I could figure everything out!) Isn’t the internet a wonderful thing?

1013-2 004

It winds a beautiful bobbin!

1013-2 003

Other than Louie taking a peek inside the motor and cleaning that up some, it is ready to go to The Sewing Machine Project! Smile

1013-2 006

I’m hoping everyone is having a wonderful weekend. We are going to a Gaither Homecoming Tour concert tonight with our friends Dave and Judy. It will be so much fun!

show_tour_image.php_

Be blessed!

Michelle

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy the concert!! I continually love to read about your adventures fixing up the sewing machines!! I have to get a picture of the sewing machine here in our garage and send it to you; hubby thinks it is over 60 years old.

    Good for you and Lou working together on these projects! Such a blessing indeed!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that was some stubborn machine. You are really the "sewing machine whisperer". Have fun at the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are miracle workers! Have fun at the concert!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! A fix and a newly working machine that was ready for the trash. Great to save these machines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have saved another machine! We need to come up with some official title for you - Queen of Machines or something? You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness you're going to have fun at that concert! Congratulations on getting the Kenmore to work - hard work always pays off. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a challenge but you guys do a wonderful job restoring old machines! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...