Tuesday, November 6, 2007

My FIRST Quilty Christmas Stocking

This is what I spent a couple hours tonight making. I freehanded the template for the stocking, so I know it is not perfect, but I did have fun making this! I watched a video the other night of Eleanor Burns showing how to make one of these, and so I decided I just HAD to make one. I had thought of going to Walmart or the dollar store or somewhere and just buying some cheap felt stockings and using them as my template for sewing the strips to, and after I make another one in 'Louie' colors using the same size, I might make some more by using store bought stockings instead...especially if I make some 'little' ones. They would be darling. This stocking is completely lined, with no raw edges anywhere. The only raw edges were under the cuff where I turned it over the edge, and I sewed a 1/4" line all around, so now, no raw edges! I also did some decorative stitches along each seam line. I know I should have used a different color other than very light green, but this one was a 'test' stocking....but I like it well enough to make it 'mine'. Yes Jen, and everyone who knows me....these are my 'standard' quilt colors for my bedroom, and definately screams 'Michelle'. My friends would have NO problem guessing who made this stocking in a 'guess who' contest!

Eleanor made her back all one piece, so Michelle did too! (copycat, copycat!) I showed my stocking to Louie, who was quite impressed, but then he started to do the pretend 'pout', and said, "Where's mine?" Oh, he'll get one, but I don't think he wants his to look like mine! I might have to pull out some blacks and greens and pool cue, pool ball fabric for his!
The best part was, I sewed my stocking on my new, yet to be blogged, SOON, Pfaff sewing machine Louie found for me a couple weeks ago at Goodwill. It is a Pfaff Creative 1471, and it sews like a dream. Jen and Cindy will see it this weekend when I go to see them for our little quilt retreat. I will only be able to be with them on Saturday, but it will be so fun to spend time with them! Below, you can see the lining fabric I put inside. SO...........after my husband told me how nice my stocking was, then he told me I needed to make some the size of my car little bags I have been making, and put a tab on it so it could be inserted in the glove compartment. I GROANED....'WHY do you always do that to me?" "What?" he said. Oh, he ALWAYS comes up with some of the BEST ideas! I think he is trying to keep me busy and out of trouble!





7 comments:

  1. Malcolm is the same. He always wants what I make aswell. Yes and he comes up with the great ideas aswell.
    love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Mom has the book with the stocking template in it. We can trace it on Saturday. And I think somewhere I have a wooden stocking template. I'll probably run across it while I'm cleaning. My grandma wants to make these stockings in the worst way but you know we have problems with the whole sewing a straight seam thing.

    It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really cute Michelle! Awesome job on the stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Have a great weekend .. I'm still jealous but I'll be quilting here at least. Just have a moment of silence in my honor that I'm quilting alone on Saturday.....ahahhahaaaa....
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT JOB!!! Love the stockings! Richard does me like that too, they are such babies but we love them. I saw that strip stocking pattern on her website under "free patterns"
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle,

    You are a girl after my own heart. I have the same sewing table. I fix old sewing machines for a thrift store. I have been married 32 years also.and I wanted to make that stocking too

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...