Saturday, May 17, 2008

Toy Sewing Machines

First up is my electric Sew-Rite toy sewing machine. Louie and I bought this several years ago at a thrift store run by a Mennonite community, I believe. After we bought it, we discovered that we paid probably WAY more than it was worth, but he wanted me to have it, and the money went to a good cause. It is a chainstitch machine, and it takes a special needle, and it works. I just looked all over the internet and could not find anything on this machine as far as how old it is, but it is cast metal of some sort, has a metal foot control just like the 'big girl machines', and a wooden carrying case (in red covering), so I do believe it to be probably about as vintage as I am. (50). The little quilt with the teddy bear on it, under the needle, is a piece I made one Saturday during our quilting get togethers, when we were learning to fuse appliques.
Next, is my little Singer Sewhandy Model 40k toy hand crank sewing machine. It too, is a chainstitch machine. I had never seen one like this before, until one day Louie and I walked into a Goodwill store that we don't often go to. It was sitting on the shelf in the electronics section, in it's little 'Dr' type case, with a price sticker on it of $3.38. I could tell by how heavy it was that it was vintage. I thought it was so cute! I picked it up, decided it was MINE, and started looking around (with toy machine grasped firmly to my body) for anyone who even 'looked' like they were interested, because it was MINE and I was ready to put it up under my blouse if anyone was even as much as 'looking' my direction, and RUN to the register to buy it, so I could REALLY proclaim that it was MINE! (Wow! That got my blood pumping just remembering how excited I was to find it!) I was even more excited when I got home, checked on ebay, found out that this machine was first new in 1957, which is the year I was born, and they were selling for around $45! This dandy machine's little 'Dr' case is close to perfect, and it even came with the original manual. The only thing it is missing, is a screw-in seam guide, and I have yet to purchase one of those, because last time I looked, those sold for 5 times what I paid for the machine, so I just put a magnetic guide on it and there it is.Here they both sit, on my bench, which resides in my east-west hallway. This is what you see when you open my bathroom door and come back out into the hallway. Take a left to the kitchen and living room, or a right to the north-south hallway, or my office and bedrooms. The pink and blue quilt on the back of the bench was found at Goodwill, and is hand embroidered, and hand quilted, and the other little placemat sized quilt is one I made, and my first attempt at free motion quilting. Everything else you see in the picture came from Goodwill, except for the 'MAY YOUR BOBBIN ALWAYS BE FULL' sign, which I bought the very first time I met Jen and Cindy when our quiting group went to Waunakee, Wisconsin last summer.
Thanks for stopping by today to look at more of my sewing machines!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...