Sunday, July 3, 2011

Singer 6235

It was totally all alone, filthy, and feeling unloved.  I couldn’t leave it rejected anymore……I had to know it’s story….and, it was cheap. Where else can I have 4 hours of fun for less than $10? I didn’t take any pictures before the cleanup, so here it is, all cleaned up. It was probably donated, because when I started cleaning it, I found the spring from the bobbin case laying in the bottom cover underneath the bobbin mechanism, along with a whole lot of lint. It was so tiny. I know without that spring, it was probably sewing LOOPS, because until I got it adjusted right, that’s all I was sewing. Now, it sews like a dream. (Notice the stitches on the paper towel in the photo below, and the one further down the page.)

bag and singer 015

This machine is a model 6235. From what I can figure from Google searches, it is a mid 1980’s machine, and it is a slant shaft machine. It does have some nylon gears, which kind of scares me. Slants are known to be very strong machines, and the slant is supposed to be made for better visibility while sewing I also found a FREE pdf manual for her, which was good, because it has the type of bobbin that you wind while the bobbin is still inside the machine. I wouldn’t have had a clue. The motor is a bit louder than most of my machines, but sounds very strong. Not a silent machine at all. And it is a free arm machine.

bag and singer 016

I didn’t even know it had any accessories until we got up to the checkout, and it looked like the top was loose. Nope, a hinged door, with all the accessories in the top!

bag and singer 018

Another odd, and ‘new to me’ feature, is the ‘air electronic’' foot control. See the funny end? I don’t have a clue what it means, but it’s got one!

bag and singer 023

I couldn’t leave this little Black and Decker Gizmo travel iron behind either.

bag and singer 013

Still less than $10.

Happy Sunday and July 4th everyone!

Michelle

july 4 friends

10 comments:

Amelia said...

Another for your collection...you are correct...inexpensive fun!

Carla said...

I'm loving your sewing machine rescues! Hoping one day to come across a 301 in a thrift store or yard sale but the hunt is part of the fun, isn't it?

Suzan said...

I think I have that same machine...or one really close to it. I would have to dig it out and look. In one of my many moves, the plastic "arm" that comes off disappeared so I haven't used the machine in YEARS! I did like the way it sewed and used it from the early 80s until about 2002. I think that is when I bought my first used machine. Wish I knew where that arm was!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Another great find for you Michelle! I'm still sewing on this little borrowed Brother and though it would never be my choice, if I had a choice, it does sew a nice seam. blessings, marlene

Grammy Staffy said...

Aren't you so clever to rescue that girl and clean her all up. I hope that she will get all adjusted and perform like a jewel for you.

Have a very happy 4th.
Hugs, Lura

Kathryn D. Duke said...

Michelle, you are good...I am looking for a small portable Bernina Artista. But it has to be cheap too...
Keep encouraging me with your finds!!

KATHY

Val said...

Where are you putting all these machines!! Love it!

Packrat said...

It's just darling. You are amazing, tho - putting springs back on. :) Hope you had a wonderful 4th.

Candace said...

It's such a nice looking machine, too. I picture the machines in the thrift stores reaching out to pull on your clothes saying pick me, pick me.

Kathy E. said...

I know this is an old post, but I was just googling Singer 6235 and found your site. I have one of these in mint condition that I am giving to a friend today. You are right that it was sold mid-80's. That's when I was sewing for my ever-growing belly and little ones. I am now sewing on Viking machines and this little lady needed a good home. She will be loved!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...