I visited this ‘mate’ on three different occasions and the last time, I brought him home. (Don’t ask me WHY I call it a ‘him’. Just seems to fit.) Louie actually asked if they would take any less than the marked price because he was missing some pieces, and the fact that he had been sitting there for several weeks. They knocked 1/3 of the price off, which didn’t probably hurt them, since the next stop for this guy probably would have been the landfill. They only keep things so long, then they move them to the BIG BROWN metal box next to the building. We actually only bought him because the foot control and cord looked very nice. I had no idea I would even be considering keeping the machine, but then Louie asked me if I tried it to see if it worked.
He was cold, and dirty, and DRY. He had lost his pressure foot, and pressure foot screw. His spool pin was also broken off. I went to my handy dandy parts box and found replacements. He also lost his sliding needle plate. I ordered a replacement since I did not have one of those. While I worked on him, I taped a piece of a plastic cool whip lid over the bobbin.
I had to play with the tensions for awhile before I got them where I was comfortable with them. He only has two stitches besides straight stitch….the zigzag and the blind stitch. He also has ‘left’, ‘middle’ and ‘right’ needle positions. He has an adjustable pressure foot dial, which goes from DARN to NORM to MAX. As you can see, I turned the dial to DARN, set the stitch length at zero, and tried some free motion stitching on my C-Fold towel! I wound a bobbin too.
Here’s his backside.
I think this machine dates from around 1971, but I will stand corrected if anyone has any more information than I do. The machine was built in Italy and the motor was built in France. I found a free pdf manual for it HERE.
Thank you Singer Co dot com! If YOU need a manual, check and see if Singer has one for you!
Be blessed and have a great Sunday!
What was new at Singer YESTERDAY, is at Michelle’s house TODAY!