Yesterday afternoon, I found this pretty girl, a Singer 403A. This machine completes the set of the 400 series that Singer offered. I already had the Singer 401A, and I bought a Singer 404 off eBay. The only one missing was the 403A. I did the happy dance when I found it. It was in a cabinet, and I removed the machine and donated the cabinet back. I don’t have room for cabinets.
She didn’t come without problems, but between Louie and I, we fixed her. The Left, Middle, and Right needle position was STUCK. The half moon plate over the bobbin wouldn’t come off, because the post holding it down on the right side was STUCK, and the knob that turns to adjust the stitch length is missing, but I’m working on finding a replacement. Update! Part located, received, and installed!
We got everything loose, lubed and cleaned. Surprisingly, the motor is in great shape, and it didn’t need to be taken out and cleaned. It runs like a scared rabbit. Smooth and fast. I haven’t tested it out as far as tension and stitches, but I know she is fine. Hopefully I’ll get that done one night after work.
I found this old Singer brochure HERE.
The 401A was the top of the line, with some built in stitches, with the option to add additional top hat cams for additional decorative stitches. The 403A was straight stitch and zig zag, with the option to add additional top hat cams for additional decorative stitches, and the 404 was a straight stitch only machine. All three machines use the same motor. The 401A was the most expensive, and the 404 was the budget model.
Soon, she will be on the shelf in my quilting room with the 401A and the 404, in her rightful place.
I’m glad I found her. I needed a sewing machine ‘fix’. I love fixing machines, and it had been awhile.
Have a great week!