Wow. I am amazed. Louie and I bought this machine in Madison, Wisconsin when we went up to Fond Du Lac a while ago. It was in very sad shape, and had some rust in the bobbin area. I didn’t think it would make it. The bobbin cover plate was completely off the machine, the needle was broken, and it was pretty dirty. We really didn’t have much hope for it, but we could see a lot of potential for parts. I was going to strip it down and save everything on it I could, then use the case for another machine, and keep the foot control. Those are always good things to have around as spares.
We also needed a motor for a Singer 500A we have sitting in the basement. We thought we could always use this one. I think it would have fit. At any rate, it seemed like a good one to part out.
What I wasn’t prepared for, was for it to turn out to be a really nice machine. It has ALL metal parts…no nylon gears at all. I did quite a bit of cleaning, and gave it some oil, but it was pretty ‘free’ as far as movement went. The motor is strong, and fast, and we didn’t even take it out and go over it like we usually do. I found some information online, on how to wind a bobbin, so I did wind a bobbin. That worked really well. Thank you, www.sewusa.com!
I only had to move the upper tension once to make it sew nicely. This machine takes cams for decorative stitches, but the straight and zigzag stitches are perfect.
This machine will be going to The Sewing Machine Project soon, along with several others….just as soon as I get them dug out from under the basement steps and we find a date that will work for both us and the lady in Madison. It’s kind of funny, really. I rescued it in Madison, Wisconsin, and that is where it will be returning.
I’m happy it worked the way it did.