Friday afternoon, about 4:45pm, just out of the blue, a very high pitched frequency sound started in my house. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I went through the whole house. I went to the basement, I stepped outside, I went to the garage, then I finally pinned it down to the kitchen, but couldn't figure out what it was. I hit the test button on the smoke detector. I pulled out the refrigerator so I could unplug it to see if that was it. I unplugged my lamp, I removed the twisty bulb in my lamp, I removed the batteries in my atomic clock, thinking maybe that was it. I pulled my HAIR!!!!! It just kept going on, and on, and on! It was driving me crazy, and it was about to push me over the edge! If I'd a had a confession to tell, I WOULD HAVE!
I finally took this digital rain guage off the wall (photo shows it with new batteries).The batteries have been DEAD for a couple years. The sender part of this setup is out in the shed with dead batteries. It has also been there for a couple years. So why was it emitting the high pitch?
When I realized it was this thing, I took it outside and the sound followed me. I pulled the battery cover off, and the two AA batteries were corroded together. I lifted one end of the batteries away from the contacts and it stopped! PRAISE THE LORD! I pushed them back down, and the sound started again. WHEW! I seem to remember an episode on tv, but can't remember what show it was that someone was trying to stop a smoke detector from going off, even with the batteries out of it, and ended up taking a baseball bat to it, and it still squealed! I KNOW HOW THAT PERSON FELT!!!!
Do you remember the show I am talking about? Has anything like this happened to you?