I’m having my own Sewing Machine Project repair day at home today. This New Home 571 sewing machine came home with us after the last Sewing Machine Project Volunteer Day.
A lady sitting next to me, and working on this machine, noticed that the bobbin cover plate could not be put back on the machine, because one of the screws was missing in the plate, and the bracket was twisting around on the back. Although the screw was a phillips, and not a straight headed screw, I found one here to use. (See, it DOES pay to save parts once in awhile!)
She also thought there was a problem with the thread guide and tension bracket for winding bobbins, as she was not being successful in winding a bobbin. I looked at it, and thought something was missing. I planned on finding a replacement for that as well, but it ended up being ok. It just needed some adjustment on the tension. It wound a bobbin very well!
The needle was in backwards, and the tensions needed adjusting (as you can see), but I got the stitches looking a bit better, and tested the stretch stitch function (where you see the darker zigzag and darker straight stitches.
I performed my normal inspection and oiling of moving parts, and gave it a sponge bath. It earned it’s Sewing Machine Project sticker, and now it is ready to go back to Madison.
It even came with a manual, and I am going to scan it to pdf before I let it go, just in case I need one for another machine later.