Last Friday when I was working on sewing machines, this is one of them I worked on. I spent SEVERAL hours on this one, but in the end, it was well worth it. A friend donated this sewing machine to me. We made a deal, really. She likes to repurpose things, so she told me I could have this sewing machine, if she could keep the cabinet. I said that was great, and that I had a cabinet I could give to her as well (although I haven’t given her the cabinet yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get it loaded and ready for her on Monday).
I told her about The Sewing Machine Project, and she said she had a sewing machine which had been in her possession for close to 20 years. She wanted to sew with it, but it never happened. When she gave it to me, it had no light and motor block or the foot controller. The light power cord had been lengthened, and the electrical job was scary, to say the least. Louie cut the cord and put on a new plug. The screw that holds in the needle was also missing. This machine is HEEEEAAAVVYY!
It was also quite dirty, and in need of oiling and for the gummed up oil to be softened.
I cleaned it up, and borrowed the light and motor block that I needed from myself, replaced the needle screw, and tested the light and the motor. The light wouldn’t work, because the little ‘plunger’ that you see sticking out on the end of the sewing machine wasn’t pushing in the light switch far enough to turn it on, or off. I think something must have been missing. (You might want to enlarge photo).
My sweet Louie fabricated a new ‘plunger’ and secured it to the light housing, and it worked like new! He has made more than pool cues with his pool cue lathe!
After a proper cleaning and oiling, I had to play around for awhile and figure out how to use this sewing machine. It has some pretty neat stitches, and the way you change the stitch patterns was a little bit unique, but I figured it out. It is all pretty neat, actually!
I think it looks pretty good now….
….and it makes some awesome stitches!
I purchased the light and motor block with foot control, and I found a manual online at SewUsa to buy (which was not easy!) and printed a copy to include with the machine. The manual I found was not ‘Stradivaro’, but Deluxe ZigZag #25 Instruction Manual (Inv-Deluxe ZZ-25-1B).
I am still hoping to find some paint close enough in color to touch up the front edge of the machine, but otherwise it is ready to head North.