Friday, July 12, 2013

A Little ReOrganization

A few weeks ago, we discovered that some of trim around our windows on the outside needed some attention when we found carpenter ants crawling up the inside of the back door. I emptied the bookcase on the left side and found them crawling along the baseboard and on the rug in front of the back door. The nightmare started back in 1996 when we bought our house. We moved in, in January, and one September day when the sun was shining brightly on the house, I returned home from work and found them covering the bathroom window. That was a shock of my life. I never knew what a carpenter ant was. Google it. It will scare the daylights out of you. Anyway, after many home improvements and many dollars spent on a professional exterminator (which really wasn’t doing any good until we replaced damp, ant chewed wood) we let the exterminator go, and started doing our own monthly extermination by buying professional cans of treatment online. We haven’t seen anything for several years. Several years ago, we re-sided the house, and we put in new windows, but we fell short on inspecting around on the outside of the house…..until I found the ants again. After reading THIS, just now, I learned even more…one thing, you don’t need a monthly exterminator to come into your home. Annoyed

Anyway, to monitor activity after we treated for the little buggers, I wanted full access to my basement windows so I could keep a better eye on activity, so we moved the stereo cabinet that was in front of the window…..

South Fork-20130702-00565

…down to the other end of the room by Louie’s pool table. I also dug out all of our vinyl LP’s as we bought Louie a new turntable for his birthday, and decided that since we had the stereo cabinet all ripped apart, now would be a good time to do it.

South Fork-20130706-00576

We removed the two dressers that were blocking this window (no ants were found by this window), and replaced them with my two sewing machine tables on wheels that were in my quilting room……

South Fork-20130702-00566

….to the quilting room. One is just inside the door to my quilting room….

South Fork-20130708-00586

…and one is on the opposite wall.

South Fork-20130708-00584

I cleaned out under the steps last weekend, and moved these plastic drawers from under the steps (and got rid of most that was in them), and moved them into my quilting room as well. The wooden file cabinet that was sitting here now sits by the stereo cabinet. (see photo above).

South Fork-20130708-00583

This is just a wider view from the other end of the room by my quilter.South Fork-20130708-00585

So with ants, and fixing sewing machines to get them ready to deliver, and just life in general, things have been pretty busy here. I am much happier with the exposed windows now, and hope that I start doing a better job of keeping my eye on things. Louie did end up checking all the windows outside, added some new caulk here and there, and repainted most of the trim on the windows.

Next: the east walls of the house need washed desperately! They rarely get wet with rain and they need a bath!

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. We have had carpenter ants, carpenter BEES, and termites, all under the watchful eye of annual exterminator inspection contract. Love their statement on the contract. NO GUARANTEE! After the complete rebuild of a bathroom and laundry room due to ongoing termite infestation, we decided to do our own inspections too. Better late than never. I do agree with your idea of an unobscured window. Love the light.Hope your ploblems are abated for awhile.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that cinnamon will deter ants, just put them around the window sills and ants won't cross them. So I looked to see if it would also work with carpenter ants and found this interesting article.
    http://frugalliving.about.com/od/doityourself/tp/Get_Rid_of_Ants_Cheaply.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Missy. Not sure kitchen ants and carpenter ants are the same. I don't see them crawling on counters or around food. These ants like to eat damp wood. They can do as much damage as (gulp) termintes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really nice Michelle. I have never experienced carpenter ants so don't even know what they look like. Hopefully they will go away. Feels good to clean out things and move things around once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, I washed a few windows this week. Only happens every few years. Hope the ants stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of moving around you've been doing. I'm so sorry you had to deal with ants. Such buggers to take you away from other activities you enjoy so much more. Your rearranged room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your battle with the nasty carpenter ants.

    SueC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the carpenter ants, my grandmother's house had them years ago.....a pain. I noticed your little Sue Bonnet wall hanging, I made one like that years ago and still have it :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...