Saturday, September 14, 2013

September Quilting and Star Gazing Blocks

Today was our first day of quilting since our summer break. We have 9 girls in our group, and we meet for 9 months, so I chose the first month to pick a block for the group to sew, and also the choice of color and theme of a fat quarter for everyone to exchange.

The name of the quilt is Star Gazing by The Pattern Basket. I had all the pieces pre-cut and ready to sew. I sewed 4 of them last week, and the eight girls that were here today, each sewed one for me. This will be my quilt when it is finished. There will be sashing strips that go between the blocks, and between the rows, and a border of the same background fabric all the way around the blocks. There will be another border of a different color as soon as I decide what to use. I thought I had bought a fabric to match the deep purple star on the far bottom left, but it did not match when I received it, so that is out. The blocks right now measure about 15 1/4”, which is a little shy of what the pattern says they should be. We also experienced a little problem with the pieced strip being a bit too short. We really needed to ‘stretch and pin’ to get it to fit. One of my gals suggested that maybe the pattern was wrong. I just asked a gal who also made these blocks if she had the same problem, and she said she did. She thought maybe she had cut wrong, but since we had the same problem, she did think the pattern could be wrong.

IMG-20130914-00887

We had a fabric exchange, and I chose ‘fun’ fabrics. Here are the FQ’s we exchanged today. Since I picked, I got two of each one!

IMG-20130914-00885

It was a day full of fun, food and laughter. We celebrated two birthdays, and I sewed blocks together for the Park View Quilting Ministry, but I didn’t get a top done. Maybe tomorrow.

Hope your day was fun too!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW, that is gorgeous. Love the pattern. I pinned your photo with blog address. Hope that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks! I had the same problem and had to stretch it a little as well.

    Have a wonderful and Blessed day
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt block Michelle. I hate when a pattern is wrong but am always thankful if I can fudge a bit and make it work. Jerry and I are packing the camper for a trip to Gatlinburg. We had reservations in Estes Park, Colorado but that little town has been flooded and it's just awful. It's our favorite vacation spot so we almost feel like it's home. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a fun day and I love the quilt block that you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That star quilt is lovely, and stunning. I bet it gets even better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These days are always good fun. I like the idea of sharing the making of the blocks. The stars look great!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...