Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe

I did it. I couldn’t control myself any longer. I kept looking for deals, and I kept getting outbid on lower priced typewriters, and I just decided to do it.

I bought a Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe portable typewriter just like the one I got for Christmas the year I learned to type. I guess I’m buying pieces of my past. I loved learning to type. It made me happy.

typewriter 002

typewriter 001

I also bought a new black/red ribbon. The one I need is no longer available, so the thing suggested was to buy a recommended size, then pull the ribbon off the new spools and put them on the old spools. I can do that!

Corona_b29_M

I can’t wait to have a piece of my past back in my hot little hands.

Be blessed,

Michelle

typewriter2

I remembered something from when I was in typing class. My teacher was a very tall, big boned man with heavy footsteps. He used to play record albums while we were doing our typing exercises. Here’s the one song that sticks out in my mind.

Ps…All the typewriters in our classroom were HUGE manual typewriters, but there were two electric. I never got to type on the electric. At the end of the school year, there was an awards ceremony, and typing ‘pins’ were awarded to some students. I got a pin for 42 words per minute. I know that doesn’t sound good, but those HUGE typewriters were hard to push the keys down on. It seemed like you pushed a long way! I was happy with my pin.

9 comments:

  1. My mother was a typing teacher and she had an old black Royal typewriter that I wish I knew where it is now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for you....mission accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! I just had to teach a student at the high school today to use an electric typewriter so she could type on a scholarship form. The kids in my office were amazed with this "new toy". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats I didn't doubt for one minute that you would find one ,as long as it made you smile and bring back good memories it was worth it .Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! How interesting about the ribbons! I wonder if they even teach typing in classes this day and age? Loved my typing classes though!

    have a good rest of the week!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! Enjoy typing on your "new" typewriter. And hey, 42 wpm on those machines, after your first class is WONDERFUL! Kids now have NO idea...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that typewriter! We had one, too! =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I hope you can help me. On an impulse I just purchased a Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe on Ebay only there are no ribbon spools. Have you learned of a source so I can purchase one, OR, if you could provide the diameter of the spool on your typewriter, I am sure that would help me in my search. Love your blog.
    jkn537@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spools are no longer available, as stated in my blog post. I'm sorry.

    Check out the reviews of this product and make your own decision.

    http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Corona-Typewriter-Ribbon-Spool/dp/B002C75VOE

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy your comments, but if you ask a question, I cannot reply to you if you are a NO-REPLY blogger and do not supply an email address. If you need a reply to your comment, please find the 'Contact Me' button on the right side bar of my blog, which will supply you with a fresh new email for you to compose and send, then I will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for stopping by.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...